RPM Community Forums

Mailing List Message of <rpm-users>

Re: Can't install RPM because I get an error with system.h

From: Jeffrey Johnson <n3npq@me.com>
Date: Sun 24 Aug 2014 - 16:51:11 CEST
Message-id: <104A3EDB-A7DF-47BC-9639-4F378D5A5883@me.com>

> On Aug 23, 2014, at 9:25 AM, andrejfavia@ml1.net wrote:
> 
> This software: http://www.astromatic.net/software/sextractor
> 

The RPM package is for linux, not OS X.

You may be able to build from source on OS X.

Otherwise you may be able to  use parallels or vmfusion
to run linux on OS X, and then install the rpm within the
linux virtual machine.

> 
> the installation directions said to use rpm (the "easy" way).
> 
> well it didn't work, so I've been trying to install rpm so that I could
> do what the directions told me to do.
> 
> Why do you say not to use rpm on a Mac?
> 

I didn’t say not to use rpm on a mac.

> Also I had issues with Homebrew because it broke my gcc compiler and I
> had to re-install the Xcode command line tools.
> 

Sorry to hear.

> 
> But it doesn't matter. I just want to know why I'm getting that error
> message.
> 

RPM has many prerequisites: the error message indicates
something is missing.

73 de Jeff

> 
> ----- Original message -----
> From: Jeffrey Johnson <n3npq@me.com>
> To: rpm-users@rpm5.org
> Subject: Re: Can't install RPM because I get an error with system.h
> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:18:00 -0500
> 
> 
>> On Aug 20, 2014, at 8:32 AM, andrejfavia@ml1.net wrote:
>> 
>> GREETINGS AGAIN.
>> 
>> It has now been one month and I have not yet received a response to my
>> inquiry on why the directions to install rpm don't work.
>> 
> 
> What software are you trying to install?
> 
> Almost certainly (if on Mac Os X), you should be using
> MacPorts or HomeBrew to install software, not rpm.
> 
> 73 de Jeff
> 
>> Can someone help me?
>> 
>> 
>> ----- Original message -----
>> From: andrejfavia@ml1.net
>> To: rpm-users@rpm5.org
>> Subject: Can't install RPM because I get an error with system.h
>> Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 22:44:48 -0400
>> 
>> Greetings.
>> I am in the long process of learning how to install software using UNIX
>> so that I can use a particular program. I am running Mac OS X 10.9.4. I
>> know almost nothing about UNIX and have just been following directions.
>> 
>> I am in the process of installing the RPM package manager. However, I am
>> having trouble getting the software to work.
>> 
>> In the installation directions, I am able to get through the
>> ./autogen.sh and ./configure commands fine, with the appropriate flags.
>> However, when I run "make", I receive the following error messages:
>> 
>> In file included from fts.c:64:0:
>> ../system.h:123:3: error: expected identifier or '(' before '{' token
>>  { if ((__progname = strrchr(pn, '/')) != NULL) __progname++;    ^
>> make[2]: *** [fts.lo] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>> 
>> 
>> What's going on?
>> ______________________________________________________________________
>> RPM Package Manager                                    http://rpm5.org
>> User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org
>> ______________________________________________________________________
>> RPM Package Manager                                    http://rpm5.org
>> User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org
> 
> ______________________________________________________________________
> RPM Package Manager                                    http://rpm5.org
> User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org
> ______________________________________________________________________
> RPM Package Manager                                    http://rpm5.org
> User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org
Received on Sun Aug 24 16:51:14 2014
Driven by Jeff Johnson and the RPM project team.
Hosted by OpenPKG and Ralf S. Engelschall.
Powered by FreeBSD and OpenPKG.